Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cancer Takes a Hike

I just heard about this amazing website through the Colon Cancer Alliance September e-newsletter.

Photobucket

The site is called Cancer Takes a Hike, and was started by a Stage IV colon cancer patient named Andrew Stevens. Stevens was diagnosed in 2005. As he says on the site, "I had tumors in my colon, liver, spleen, and on my right adrenal gland and was given just a few months to live. Now, even after four surgeries and almost 40 rounds of chemotherapy, I still have cancer. But due to the amazing care from my doctors and nurses and an outpouring of love and support from my wife, family, friends, and thoughts and prayers of many, I am closing in on the four year anniversary of my diagnosis."

In honor of this incredible milestone, Stevens is hiking 160 miles of the Appalachian Trail with his brother and a good friend.

Fairly mind-blowing, eh? I certainly think so!

In addition to raising awareness by attempting this arduous hike, Stevens is also raising funds for the Colon Cancer Alliance. To make a donation to the CCA in honor of Andrew Stevens and Cancer Takes a Hike, click here.

No comments: