Monday, September 8, 2008

Cranking Along the Cobblestones

I live on a quaint little cobblestone street in the middle of bustling London.

This afternoon, on my way to the gym (yes, I am taking advantage of my lady of leisure lifestyle before heading back to school!), I locked my door and turned to head down our street. Ahead of me was an older man in a wheelchair. He was probably in his late 60s or early 70s and wearing the requisite senior ensemble of khaki cordouroy pants and a maroon sweater. His lap was full of shopping bags from earlier errands. He cranked his wheelchair along the cobblestones, paused a moment to look into a neighbor's construction site, and cranked some more.

I watched him as I approached. His arms grasped and pushed the wheels forward, a huge effort that advanced the chair just a pinch. As he and his chair bumped along, my heart sank for the poor man and his jerky journey down our street.

I walked up to him and said, "Sir? Can I help you navigate these cobblestones?"

He smiled and in a perfect English accent replied, "No, thank you my dear. That's very kind. But this is very good exercise!"

I chuckled, smiled back, and left to go get some exercise of my own - my heart full of admiration for this stranger and his wheelchair.

I can only hope to have such an attitude toward adversity as I age and life throws at me what it will. I hope that when I feel sorry for myself, or am struck down by life's latest challenge, I will remember this man, tottering in his wheelchair along our little cobblestone street, a wide smile across his face, enjoying the exercise.

No comments: