Friday, September 12, 2008

SU2C Broadcast - Only One Kleenex Needed!

Here it is.



My boyfriend and I watched the show last night on the biggest computer screen in our house. I have to say, even though it was a bit chaotic, with some celebs missing their marks (ahem, Ms. Dunst) and some camera flubs - overall I was incredibly impressed.

The content of the show was perfect in its balance of scientific information, celebrity involvement, and humor. I appreciated that within the science sections of the show, viewers were presented with groundbreaking reseach (hooray nanotechnology!) but also with basic facts ("Don't start smoking.") that Americans, unfortunately, still need to hear too urgently.

My favorite humorous part of the show was when Katie Couric and Charles Barkley talked about their colonoscopies. In a show that was so scripted (and necessarily so, I know) it was great to see Katie being her charming self, improvising a bit with Sir Charles. And who knew the "Round Mound of Rebound" (thank you, boyfriend, for coming up with that old nickname of his!) was so funny? He had more stage presence than a lot of the actors! Not to mention how great it is that he had his colonoscopy filmed in the first place. Bravo, Mr. Barkley. And thank you.

Yes, the tears flowed. I don't know how Halle Berry, Casey Affleck, Jen Garner and Forest Whitaker made it through their "Imagine" montage when they read out stories written by those affected by cancer in the most dramatic, tragic ways. And seeing Patrick Swayze - even though I knew he was opening the show - was really tough. He has thinned out so much. In my head I will always see him as Johnny, his beloved "Dirty Dancing" character - so seeing him looking so gaunt was tough for me. It reminded me a lot of my stepdad, too, which always knocks the wind out of the ol' tummy.

Anyway, I am thrilled that I finally got to watch the show, and even more thrilled that the show raised over $100 million! A drop in the bucket compared to what our country has spent on the Iraq war, and far from what is needed to truly CURE this disease - but it's a very, very good start.

Onward!

No comments: