Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Nerdy Cancer Reading List

So here is my reading list. A work in progress. I had polished off a few of these books before starting this blog, and will post on them in the order in which I read them. And if it seems like I am not the fastest reader... well, two things: a) I hope that keeping this blog motivates me to be a little more productive, and b) reading about cancer is an intense experience for me, so I intersperse these cancer books with lighter pleasure reading. So there!

Will update this list as I read and inevitably acquire more books (I am a big nerd, after all)...


Bibliography

Date started

Date completed

Wishart, Adam, One in Three (Grove Press, 2007)

15 February 2008

19 February 2008

Clinton, Bill, Giving (Alfred A. Knopf, 2007)

December 2007

26 February 2008

Olson, James S., Bathsheba's Breast: Women, Cancer & History (The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2002)

27 February 2008

14 March 2008

Davis, Devra, The Secret History of the War on Cancer (Basic Books, 2007)

10 April 2008


Patterson, James T., The Dread Disease: Cancer and Modern American Culture (Harvard University Press, 1989)



Weinberg, Robert A., One Renegade Cell: How Cancer Begins (Basic Books, 1998)



Kedrowski, Karen M. and Marilyn Stine Sarow, Cancer Activism: Gender, Media, and Public Policy (University of Illinois Press, 2007)



Greaves, Mel, Cancer: The Evolutionary Legacy (Oxford University Press, 2000)



Pochapin, Mark Bennett, M.D., What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Colorectal Cancer (Warner Books, 2004)



Pesmen, Curtis, The Colon Cancer Survivors' Guide: Living Stronger, Longer (Tatra Press LLC, 2005)



Lendrum, Susan and Gabrielle Syme, Gift of Tears: A Practical Approach to Loss and Bereavement Counselling (Routledge, 2004)



Nettleton, Sarah, The Sociology of Health and Illness (Polity Press, 2006)



Lyss, Alan P., MD; Humberto M. Fagundes, MD; Patricia Corrigan, Chemotherapy & Radiation for Dummies (Wiley Publishing, Inc., 2005)

Ongoing - reference


Sarg, Michael J., MD and Gross, Ann D., MA, The Cancer Dictionary, Third Edition (Checkmark Books, 2007)

Ongoing - reference


No comments: